Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hyper-reality Victim

Over the years I have fallen into the trap of hyper-reality in many different ways, as many other Americans also have. The first area in which I have fallen into the hyper-reality trap is with my bodybuilding DVD's. When I watch the DVD's, I get so into them that I find myself mimicking everything they do. If Ronnie Coleman is leg-pressing 2300 lbs. and is yelling to pump himself up, I find myself wanting to yell as well. A second area, but also somewhat simillar, is in regards to the advertising of supplements. For example, this summer I purchased some pretty expensive anabolic steroids...just kidding! Seriously though, I purchased some pretty expensive protein powder that was $35 for a 3 lb. tub because supposedly it could lead to 10 lbs. of muscle gain. The advertising appealed to the lifestyle I want to live and it played on what it is I want to do, which is gain 10 lbs. of muscle.

No comments: