Thursday, November 29, 2007

Purpose of Plays/Art = to Point Out Society's Flawed Nature?


I both agree and disagree with Hamlet's opinion of the purpose of plays and/or art. I know that in many cases, plays and art do a stupendous job of pointing out society's flawed nature, but at other times, it seems as if it does anything but. Take for example the play "The Nut Cracker"; while one could come up with some ideas as to how the play points out flaws in society, I do not think that the main purpose of the play is to point that out. The play is about a young girl who falls asleep with her new nut cracker, given to her by her grandfather, and finds herself in a fantasy world with her now real life nut cracker. Nowhere in the whole play is the sole purpose to point out flaws withing society. On the flip side of the coin, we have such things as musical art. Take for example Tupac Shakur; many of his songs and poetry dealt with problems in society. In the song "Dear Mama", Tupac says,

"Now ain't nobody tell us it was fair

No love for my daddy 'cause the coward wasn't there

He passed away and I didn't cry, cause my anger

Wouldn't let me feel for a stranger

They say I'm wrong and I'm heartless, but all along

I was lookin for a father he was gone

I hung around with the thugs, and even though they sold drugs

They showed a young brother love

I moved out and started really hangin

I needed money of my own so I started slangin"

Pac does a great job of explaining a flaw of today's society, that flaw being single-parent homes where mothers are left to raise the children all on their own. So once again, I both agree and disagree with Hamlet.

No comments: