Tuesday, November 27, 2007


I do believe that Hamlet was truly in love with Ophelia. My reasoning behind this lies in Act 2, Scene 2, Lines 118-122, when Polonius reads Hamlet's letters that he has written to Ophelia aloud. In the letter, Hamlet declares, "But never doubt I love(119)" and just two lines ahead, he tells her, "But that I love thee best, O most best, believe it." Now, it is quite possible that this is Hamlet's crazy side and he really doesn't mean what he says, because we all know that he has been acting a little "Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs" since discovering how his father truly died. However, I do believe that Hamlet wrote the letter with a clear mind and meant everything that he said to her. So, if we were to make an educated decision as to whether or not we think Hamlet truly loved Ophelia, then based on Hamlet's own words, I would have to assume he still loved Ophelia.

No comments: