Friday, February 15, 2008

Distance

I'm not sure if I understand how to respond to the prompt in order to give my opinion. I believe that a writer can and should write something that may not reflect their Christian views. Similarly, I believe that actors should not stick solely to Christian roles that reflect all of their views. Now before anyone condemns me, let me explain; I'll use Denzel as my example. In the movie He Got Game, directed by Spike Lee, Denzel plays an incarcerated father who gets released for a short time in order to convince his basketball phenom of a son to play at a certain college. Throughout the movie, Denzel does things that may not be considered Christian, however I don't consider that necessarily bad. If Denzel were to refuse to do anything that goes against Christianity, it would ruin the movie. Many of the gripes people have about movies is the fact that they don't seem real. Just think if Denzel were to say "Get that hate out your heart son, or you'll end up just another black man, like your father". The movie would seem so fake that I doubt anyone would bother to watch. Many of the arguments I have read on others blogs bring up the issue of actors just wanting money, but I don't believe you can paint actors with such a broad brush. I personally don't believe that Denzel takes roles based on money. Denzel just released a book called "A Hand to Guide Me", in which he donated all the proceeds of the book to the Boys and Girls Club. I honestly have so much I want to say, but my thoughts are so jumbled that I'm not even sure if what I just said makes sense.

No comments: